Tuesday, February 23, 2010

AG in AB

AG in BC actually. For the last couple of days I've been at Kicking Horse mountain resort. I'll get to that in a bit. Firstly I have to mention what went down when the first member of the Aberdeen Snowsports Centre massif set to grace Banff this season came in the form of Louise Moig. Plenty of riding was done, followed by plenty of drinking. A sick day was had at Lake Louise just before Lou headed home. Plenty miles under the board, plus Louise had decided to snowboard that day because deep down she knows it's better.

Me and Lou atop Lake Louise

We had a dramatic incident involving a horse-drawn sleigh at the Fairmont Chateau up at the lake. Anyone who has spoken to Lou since she returned will probably have heard. After checking out the sculptures from the world ice-sculpting championships we were heading back to the bus when the sounds of hooves and sleigh-bells came from behind us. We turned to see the horses rampaging towards us with the driver screaming at them to stop. Thankfully we managed to dive out the way as the horses tore past, slung the sleigh into a snowdrift (nearly flipping it and throwing the drivers dog over a fence into a bush)and continued manically down the road and into the woods.

Horses: bloody mentalists

From one type of raging horse to another, across in BC. Kicking Horse mountain resort is quite simply the best hill I have ever been to. I have never seen a resort with as high a quality of snow and terrain coupled with hardly any crowds. It hasn't snowed there for ages but it was still epic. The minute I hear of a dump there I'll be heading straight back.

I was there for a couple days with a group of lads. Six in total, all sick riders and hungry for big mountain lines. One of the boys parents have an apartment at the resort complete with BBQ and Jacuzzi on the balcony so the stage was set for much manly activity. Two sweet days riding and a massive piss-up were had before I had to head back to Banff for work. The rest of them are staying out there for the week. I am jealous to say the least. Plenty of footage was taken however I can't get most of it till the guys get back to Banff. I'll get an edit up here once I get my hands on it. For now check out a couple of vids I dug up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNh7z8B5GX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8cv6uUqp4

It's amazing how much terrain is available within the ski area boundary. Almost everything you can see is accessible by traversing a ridge. Kicking Horse lies above the town of Golden, BC, a hick-town whose residents have little to no interest in riding. Consequently the resort is dead and there are fresh lines to be had for a long time after a snowfall. If you ever get the chance then get yourself there, you will not regret it!

Things in Banff have been good recently. One of the upsides to the unusually warm February that we're having is that the resorts are already riding like it's spring. With such a good platform for park progression I can hopefully bag some new tricks over the next couple weeks while Banff awaits a massive snowfall (wishful thinking).

spring came early


I'll sign off for now. Only six days until Craig Donald arrives in Banff. It should spell carnage. Will keep you posted

Stay tuned for some Kicking Horse video action.

AG

No comments:

Post a Comment