Tuesday, March 16, 2010

AG in AB

OF INJURIES AND CRAIG



The past month in Banff has been eventful to say the least. Only a chronological approach will allow the story of March to make any sense at all. Wind the clock back around 2 weeks and position yourself mid-afternoon beside the first medium kicker in the Sunshine Village park. Who's that skier hammering down the run-in without the slightest sign of a speed check? He's going to go big whoever he is! It's a backflip attempt! Is it a single? Is it a double? Who knows? The only obvious fact is that he's in bad shape after hitting the ground. The crowd of Sunshine instructors rushing to attention suggests he is one of them. Why it's none other than Aberdeen University's Alumni legend Sam 'you're making a scene' Cowie, and he's fucked himself!


Continuing the relationship between those named Sam and horrific season-ending injuries, Cowie went and broke his femur. Clean in half in fact. He broke it so cleanly that they pinned it in Calgary and he'll be walking in 4 to 6 weeks. Regardless of that he'll be heading home to Scotland at the beginning of April so it's curtains for 09/10 for Sam. Wherever you are shredding, spare a thought for the boy who's having to sit in his Banff apartment, with his arse of a Landlord telling him to cleanup despite his obvious problems with movement, for the rest of the month. If one thing is to be learned from his fall it would be that you should never, no matter how ballsy you feel, go straight for a big trick without speed checking a kicker. Remember that and your major bones should hopefully stay intact.

The lengthy description of Sam's fall was unnecessary as there is a video of it in all its glory. Watch and be glad it wasn't you!



Moving swiftly on... before Sam could even get back from hospital in Calgary I decided he could use some company in his recovery so I went and separated my shoulder. After a morning of sweet fun in the park working on a bunch of new rail tricks and always hitting the first kicker switch to improve my cabs I was on a high. All that went out the window the second a massive error resulted in a toe-edge catch at the lip of the kicker. I tucked and flipped to save my face and came down on my shoulder. After riding for an hour or so more I figured a trip to the doctor may be in order. Most of my work colleagues thought it was dislocated which to my relief it wasn't. I paid a measly $95 for an appointment and a sling rather than the $1000 it would've cost for X-RAYS if it had been any worse. 2 weeks later I'm feeling nearly fine, just in time for the family coming out this weekend. Pretty stoked about how that one worked out, will have to make sure I refrain from any more mistakes like that this season!

Rehab. Check the bruising on Sam's left leg!


Typically Mother Nature decided last week would be the perfect time to end Banff's 2 month snow-drought. Not much to report on the riding front from me for obvious reasons. However if you bump into Craig Donald any time soon he can fill you in. Craig was out for 10 days starting around about when I binned myself. We didn't shred together but we got a few good nights out and some serial chillin' in the playboy mansion-esque grotto-style hot pool at the Fox suites where he was staying. Cheers Craig!!

Me and Craig on a snowy Banff Ave.

That's the story of March so far. Still to come, a visit from my whole family, Sam's family and a handful of other noteworthy shredders and piss-artists. Should be a belter! Plus I get back on my board after nearly 20 days of annoying recovery time. As promised here's an edit of when I went out to kicking horse in early march with a great crew of riders and skiers (Sunshine park action to come when I stop hitting the ground with my body and start hitting it with my board).



AG

No comments:

Post a Comment